Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Sunny Day in Seattle


Today was a beautiful Seattle day. The view of Mt. Rainier was spectacular. So, what did I do today? I went to an AFS volunteer training session! I spent all day in a library learning about AFS and our local chapter. I learned a lot and I was surrounded by really good people who volunteer their time to help youth from the Pacific Northwest venture out into the world, and welcome students from all over the world. They give of their time selflessly because they get satisfaction out of being of service. I was very impressed with the dedication that I saw today, and I couldn't help but want to participate in my own way. I'm not sure what that is going to look like. I am obviously hosting, and I'm sending two of my kids abroad this year, but I'm not sure how I can be most helpful to AFS. So tonight's reflection has me thinking about how I can best serve an organization that is devoted to spreading world wide peace. What I do know is that being a good host mom to Gianluca is a good start. That in itself is a challenge with my busy life, but I will do my best. Sending two of my children abroad is another way that I contribute to their process of becoming global citizens.

Next Sunday is our farewell party for two of my children and my niece. I can hardly believe that in eight days my daughter will be on a plane to Scotland. Time goes by so fast. You have to hold them close and then let go when the time is right. Sometimes you have give a gentle nudge out of the nest. I think I'm doing just a little of both with her. She makes me so proud and I'm grateful that she has this opportunity to be of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment